• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested in DC for Moving Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VADRIVER_123

This week, I was coming from work (enroute to my second job), when I was pulled over near the DC Waterfront in SW. Upon approaching my vehicle, an Female African American Officer informed me that I was stopped due to my vehicle’s registration stickers being expired in Dec 08. I explained that I was unaware of this and that to the best of my knowledge my vehicle’s registration should be in order. To my surprise, she returned and informed me that my vehicle’s registration had indeed lapsed and that my vehicle was currently unregistered. When I inquired as to the fine, she informed me that she was placing me under arrest. As I was only a few blocks from my place of employment at the Washington Navy Yard, at least two of my coworkers witnessed my arrest.

I was in complete shock, to say the least.

I asked the officer if this was actually necessary and if there was any room for officer discretion (for instance, issuing a moving violation). She maintained that there was none. I was searched, handcuffed, and brought to the 1st District Station, where I was again searched, processed, fingerprinted, and jailed. I was released after about two hours sharing a holding cell with several of Southwest DC’s finest citizens. I was released after about two hours, paying a $50 collateral and receiving a $100 fine.

My question is this: As this was completely unnecesary (I was not rude up until I was wearing handcuffs), do I have any civil legal recourse? I am not really interested in cashing in on this, but if I need to sue the district to get this policy changed, I am certainly open to the idea. I had not given any real thought to the racial angle of this until today... If I was a white cop pulling over a black female enroute to her second job, and brought her to jail - I would be asking for trouble. But since the tables were turned, I'd doubt that I even have a leg to stand on, legally. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

:mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This week, I was coming from work (enroute to my second job), when I was pulled over near the DC Waterfront in SW. Upon approaching my vehicle, an Female African American Officer
So, what does the officer's sex or national origin have to do with this? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good luck on getting any help on this.

VADRIVER_123

Re:

I am a white male. I added the officer's race/sex to provide context, as I am unsure if my arrest was racially motivated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">