• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failed to attend my trial and was found not guilty by the jury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashxali1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dir Sir/ Madam: I should be very grateful if you could kindly advise me about my case. I was acused in the UK and attended all the police appointments and also all the court hearings before the trial. I left the UK before the date of my trial and failed to return due to some complicated circumstances. The judge decided to postpone the trial further 4 months to give me the chance to attend. Unfortunately I couldn't. Despite my absence, the trial went on and the judge instructed the jury not to consider my absence against me. Fortunately, my solicitor and barrister decided to defend me, particulary because they were fully instructed and had all the evidence to support me. The jury found me not guilty, but a warrant to arrest me was issued for failure to appear in the court for my trial. The judge refused to sentence me and said it was wiser to wait until I show up and declare the reasons of my absence. My solicitor told me that my case was the first to happen in the whole of the UK i.e. to get cleared despite my absence. This happened 2 years and one month ago. I'm living now in a country which has no extradition agreement with the UK. I'm a professional and work in a sensitive place. I'm very frightened to surrender and be sentenced as this could destroy my reputation and my futrue. Two weeks ago I received an email from the british police (indirectly through my previous work place) asking me to contact them urgently. I didn't reply. My queries are:
1. If I surrender and the judge refuses my reasons, what sort of punishment i'm supposed to have? prison? for how long? or may be a fine? how much you think for such a minor offence?
2. Does the warrant to arrest for such an offence get expired after some time?
3. What you think could made the UK police try to contact me after two years? are they trying to make an agreement with me to close the case? e.g. to pay a fine or do some hours of community service? Is that possible?
4. Obviously, if I travel to the UK now I will be arrested at borders, but what would be the situation for other counteries that hold an extradition agreement with the UK? Is failure to attend a trial in which I was proved not guilty, an extraditible offence?

You help and advice is extremely appreciated.
Many thanks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ashxali1

I know

Thanks a lot for turning my attention. Of course I know it's a forum for US law only but I couldn't find an alternative for UK law. Can you please answer my *****ies according to US law. I'm sure it will be of great help to me as US law is very close to UK law

much obliged

The Occultist

Not only is US law different from UK law, but the laws are even different between the states that are in the US, and that is precisely why posters are required to include the name of their state.

Sorry, but we cannot help you here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">