• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for my daughter's MIP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Last July my daughter asked me if she could have a few friends over for a campfire in our back yard. I said yes as they were all going off to college soon. I went out and checked on them before I went to bed at around 9:00 P.M. At that time there was no funny business going on.(drinking). At around 1:00 P.M. my daughter woke us up and told us the police were knocking at her bedroom and were demanding they come outside. I came downstairs and told the police that we were all going to bed and the party had been over for some time and could they please leave. They informed me they had pulled someone over that had left our house earlier foe a bad headlight and had found some weed and a half bottle of liquor in his car. I talked with my daughter about this and she told me that he had been there but when he pulled out the bottle he was told to leave. Ironically when he was pulled over he blew a 0.00. To make a long story short my daughter and two sleepover friends had somehow managed to get a 12 pack of beer and had consumed 8 of them. The cops were very keen on them blowing and after haggling with them, my daughter and one friend blew around a 1.0. The other friend did not want to so I had her call her parents and they arrived within 20 minutes. after some discussion in which the police said over and over that if everyone blew, then they would probably get a 200 dollar finesome community service, and that would be the end of it. That was all true except for last Thursday, Feb. 19 two officers showed up at my door, arrested me and locked me up for 2 hours. There was a warrant for my arrest for allowing minors to consume alcohol on my property. MCL 750141A2. I answer charges on March 6. Any suggestions how I should handle this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Guilty is how you are based on your post. You are responsible for what goes on on your property. And your daughter did not have a 1.0 BAC. Maybe a 0.10 and that is legally drunk for an adult who is ALLOWED to drink. ANY alcohol for your daughter's friends is an issue.

jpk

Daughter's mip

Thanks Jeff,

Your sardonic approach to law is what has gotten you where you are today.
Replying sarcastically is not helpful to anyone. I have spoken to some real attorney's already and they have enlightened me 100 fold compared to your
smart alleck approach. Did it occur to you that many counties are facing budget shortfalls and prosecuting attornies are scouring old cases to see how they can fleece the citizenry for more easy money? Did it occur to you that this comes right at the time where everyone is getting their tax refunds? Do me a favor-don't reply to me anymore- you're the reason this country is so messed up.

CourtClerk

In 2 hours on a Sunday evening, you had time to some "real attorneys?" Because if I recall, this is your SECOND post on the same subject and in neither one of them, you said nothing about consulting an attorney. After all, had you done that, why the need to post here?

Now, did any of those "real attorneys" discuss with you the statute of limitations? Did any of them actually tell you that there is no need to immediately charge you because they have a year to do so? Did they tell you that they are under absolutely no obligation to charge you at the same time they charged your child? Did they tell you that the SOL has nothing to do with tax refunds, or the like? If any of those "real attorneys" made an assinine statement like they are charging you now because everyone is getting their tax refunds, then you best not hire them or you'll find yourself UNDER the jail. Bad attorneys can make situations worse.

jpk

Daughters mip

Ohio gal,
Excuse me for getting the BAL wrong. It's just that I have never dealt with this issue before. One thing that puzzles me. Did you assume that I am divorced? My wife and I have been married for 25 years and are looking forward to the next 25. As a matter of fact, this incident has brought our family closer then ever. You know what they say about ASSUME- in this case it made one out of U not ME

jpk

Daughter's mip

Thanks Jeff,

Replying sarcastically is not helpful to anyone. I have spoken to some real attorney's already and they have enlightened me 100 fold compared to your
smart alleck approach. Did it occur to you that many counties are facing budget shortfalls and prosecuting attornies are scouring old cases to see how they can fleece the citizenry for more easy money? Did it occur to you that this comes right at the time where everyone is getting their tax refunds? Do me a favor-don't reply to me anymore- you're the reason this country is so messed up.

jpk

Court clerk

Whoa,
Boy you guys sure stick together. Just to set the record straight- this happened last Thursday- so I have had time to speak to attorney's. I just thought I'd give this website a try. Rest assured after I log off I shall not return. I know-good riddance- but you guys have to admit-there are way to many lawyers in this world. You know what 100 lawyers chained together and dropped into the bay is? A good start.

jpk

Daughter's mip

Thanks Jeff,

jpk

Amen to that

A good start,
You know I'd really consider that but my daughter is in college now-doesn't drink-my wife and I don't drink-I really have to say this has been an enlightening experience- I reached out for a little sunshine and received a dose of reality- Me and my family will get through this and will learn from our mistakes- on the other hand you will continue to live your sloth like email know it all existence and be unhappy. Disabuse yourself before you believe what you are doing is helping people. Goodbye.

CourtClerk

A good start,
You know I'd really consider that but my daughter is in college now-doesn't drink-
that you know of or that she's telling you. However, I bet you didn't think she drank before she got that MIP...
my wife and I don't drink-
Nope, you just allow children to drink in your presence and stay at your house. Lovely.

cyjeff

Thanks Jeff,

smart alleck approach.
My responses were not sarcastic or sardonic in the least.

You can expect to be sued by the other parents.

You have a house full of teenagers, go to bed at 9:00 and are wondering why stuff happened?

Really?

Did it occur to you that many counties are facing budget shortfalls and prosecuting attornies are scouring old cases to see how they can fleece the citizenry for more easy money?
They pulled over a drunk driver leaving your home. It isn't like they even had to look hard.

I guess it was fine when your KID was punished! I bet you really laid down the law there, huh?

Did it occur to you that this comes right at the time where everyone is getting their tax refunds? Do me a favor-don't reply to me anymore- you're the reason this country is so messed up.
No, the reason the country is in the state it is in is because idiots refuse to step up to the plate, parent their children and take responsibility for their own actions.

Did you really think that you could go to bed at 9 without anything happening? That NO ONE would think to bring alcohol? Did anyone have sex?

I don't know why I am asking you... after all, you were asleep, right?

Bull. You see, I KNOW you knew what was going on. You KNEW that kids were drinking and partying. You are just cranked that you got caught.

Deal with it.

cyjeff

A good start,
You know I'd really consider that but my daughter is in college now-doesn't drink-
So the 12 pack she snuck into her PARENT'S home was her first time?

And the last time?

Boy, do you have a rude awakening.

I reached out for a little sunshine and received a dose of reality- Me and my family will get through this and will learn from our mistakes- on the other hand you will continue to live your sloth like email know it all existence and be unhappy. Disabuse yourself before you believe what you are doing is helping people. Goodbye.
Wha?

Reaching out for a little sunshine?

You put drunken teenagers out on the road. You could have killed someone. You DON'T seem to realize that this could have come out MUCH worse.

Personally, I hope you get a little extra time picking up trash... that will give you a little time to think about what COULD have happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">