• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking and breaking a college teaching contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

visjar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have been given a short deadline to accept a college teaching position and if I don't take it I might possibly be unemployed for a year. If I take the position that is not my top choice what are the legal implications if a month from now I get a better offer and tell them I no longer want the position? Their handbook states that professors must give notice by May 30th and I wouldn't be starting there until Sept 1st.

I know it is less than honorable, but as a single father I need to do what's best for my family first.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

Let's see, breach of contract? As in getting sued, as in, for money?

Take it to an attorney for review.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there is an actual contract, only an attorney who has read the document in full can say what, if any, consequences there would be as they would be contained in the contract.

If there is no contract, then as an at-will employee you may leave at any time with no legal consequences. The school would be at liberty to tell any subsequent reference-seekers the truth about your departure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">