• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract buyout question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HappyJack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

This is a two-part question (thanks in advance for a lengthy read!)

Recently I was informed that due to budget concerns, I was being let go. I am under contract, and received a buy-out offer.

Under the first term of this offer, I am to be paid my current compensation and benefits. Currently, without accepting the buyout offer, I would be entitled to several weeks accrued vacation pay, which I would be paid for at the end of service. When I asked for confirmation that I would be paid for this time under the buyout, I was told no.

The last item in the agreement (other than the expiration of the offer) states that this document is the entire agreement between the parties and may not be modified other than in writing and signed by both parties. This was what was referenced in the reason for vacation time not being paid, saying that this section of the agreement superseded the original contract, and that I would forfeit accrued time.

Question 1:
Their interpretation seems incorrect. and I would like to hear other opinions on this. My interpretation is that the first clause states I am to receive whatever compensation I am currently entitled to under my contract. The other clause simply defines the agreement as the sum of the clauses and states that any modification must be agreed upon in writing. Therefore, under the terms of the first clause, they need to pay me. Who is correct?

Question 2:
Two other clauses state that 1) I may not make any sort of claim up to the date of the agreement, and 2) that I not disclose the agreement to anyone. If I feel I am entitled to the vacation time and am not paid for it, am I within my rights to take the agreement to an attorney for an opinion and/or file suit , or am I violating the agreement by doing so? Obviously, by posting here, I am already guilty :)

My tentative plan is to go ahead and sign it because I would rather use my time finding new employment than being a "dead man walking" at the old job. I will try and make my points, and if I am within my rights, wait until payments end to file any claim to receive the vacation pay.

ecmst12

No one here can give an opinion about a contract we have not read. Take your contract and the buyout offer to a local attorney for an opinion.

HappyJack

I can understand that. However, this is where the second question comes in. Am I violating the disclosure clause by showing it to an attorney? Two parties are mentioned specifically to whom I can show this agreement - neither one of which is an attorney. Rephrased - is it legally possible for them to prohibit me from seeking a professional opinion and representation, if need be, concerning this agreement?

Thank you for your time!

anteater

I can understand that. However, this is where the second question comes in. Am I violating the disclosure clause by showing it to an attorney? Two parties are mentioned specifically to whom I can show this agreement - neither one of which is an attorney. Rephrased - is it legally possible for them to prohibit me from seeking a professional opinion and representation, if need be, concerning this agreement?

Thank you for your time!
You haven't signed it yet, right? Therefore, there is no clause to violate.

HappyJack

You haven't signed it yet, right? Therefore, there is no clause to violate.
Haha - that's awesome. It had occurred to me that in order to violate an agreement...I had to agree to it first, but I didn't think it was actually that simple. That being said, other than the vacation pay, the offer is decent, and it is easier to accept it than fight it.

What about the following course of action - recommended or no?

Reply to the email, citing the reasons in the initial post, making it clear that I am in no way accepting that interpretation as an agreement above and beyond the release as it was originally written, but I am willing to sign the original agreement.
I am hoping he will decide to go ahead and pay without further issue based on the logic of my interpretation vs. his willy-nilly thinking, coupled with a thinly-veiled threat that if I haven't received the vacation pay by the end of the term of payment, I would then consider the appropriate course of action to recover that pay.

Of course, he is also supposed to give me a letter of recommendation, so I am treading on tricky ground. The pay amounts to a couple thousand dollars, so I don't know which is worth more, especially if most of it gets eaten up in legal fees :rolleyes:

ecmst12

They could not legally ask you to sign away your right to consult an attorney before signing ANY contract. Also, the previous poster's advice makes sense - a non-disclosure agreement can't be enforced until you AGREE to it!

HappyJack

Okay - I got referred to an employment attorney by friend who' s a patent lawyer. Hopefully this works out in my favor.

Thanks for the help guys (or gals?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">