• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

betsysmith327

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
What are the laws of walking an employee once they give their 2 week notice? Are you required to pay them for those 2 weeks?

Beth3

What are the laws of walking an employee once they give their 2 week notice? There are none.

Are you required to pay them for those 2 weeks? Only if they work those two weeks. If the employer decides to accept the employee's resignation immediately, the employee need only be paid through the last day actually worked. (This is true for both exempt and non-exempt employees.)

If you read up on this, there are a growing number of people who say that "two weeks" is an outdated principle, and you should let your employer know the day of your resignation, for reasons such as this.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, was this at a smaller company?

Beth3

If you read up on this, there are a growing number of people who say that "two weeks" is an outdated principle, and you should let your employer know the day of your resignation, for reasons such as this. If the employer has a history of showing people to the door as son as they give notice, then I don't disagree. That's not commonplace however, unless an employee is going to work for a competitor. The problem with quitting without notice is that the employee will still need a favorable reference from this employer some day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI, I have yet to work for a company that will not voluntarily pay out an unworked notice period, whether it's required by law or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">