• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sv459

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I became a contracted, salaried employee about 2years ago. The contract I signed has a provision that I cannot work for a competing company in an area where my employer has jobs for two years after leaving the company. At the first of this year, due to economic pressures, he called in all salaried employees, stating that either he cuts our pay to 35 hours for the same amount of work, or he would have to lay off some of us or even loose the company. We agreed, as jobs are difficult to find in FL right now. Now I have an opportunity to go to work for one of the competing companies in another city, where we also do work. My question is: Since my employer has changed the contract provisions, am I still held to the "non-compete" section?

mlane58

No one here can answer your question, as we haven't read the contract. You need to take it to a local attorney for guidance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I became a contracted, salaried employee about 2years ago. The contract I signed has a provision that I cannot work for a competing company in an area where my employer has jobs for two years after leaving the company. At the first of this year, due to economic pressures, he called in all salaried employees, stating that either he cuts our pay to 35 hours for the same amount of work, or he would have to lay off some of us or even loose the company. We agreed, as jobs are difficult to find in FL right now. Now I have an opportunity to go to work for one of the competing companies in another city, where we also do work. My question is: Since my employer has changed the contract provisions, am I still held to the "non-compete" section?
If the non-compete was valid before, then it is likely still valid. Definitely see an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">