• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashlee22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

A couple of days ago I (along with a friend), was arrested at a Kohl's in Waukesha for shoplifting. We are both 19, and were given municipal citations with a $361 dollar fine. Kohl's banned us from all Kohl's shopping centers, and are sending us a fine also. We have a court date set up, but it is not mandatory. I

Is it worth going to court? Is there ANY way we can have this erased from our record? I've never been arrested before, and this is my first offense. I really regret what I did, and I just want to do "undo" it, as much as I can. What will going to court do?

Thanks!

Ashlee

Last edited:

Antigone*

A couple of days ago I (along with a friend), was arrested at a Kohl's in Waukesha for shoplifting. We are both 19, and were given municipal citations with a $361 dollar fine. Kohl's banned us from all Kohl's shopping centers, and are sending us a fine also. We have a court date set up, but it is not mandatory.

Is it worth going to court? Is there ANY way we can have this erased from our record? I've never been arrested before, and this is my first offense. I really regret what I did, and I just want to do "undo" it, as much as I can.

Thanks!

Ashlee
There is no "undo" or "delete" button when you shoplift. Be ready for some major fines (in addition to the 361) ~ I mean in the hundreds of dollars.

It is in your best interest to go to court as well.

Nickj119

This is not legal advice...

But I'm from Hartland (Just about 2 seconds outside of Waukesha). Why would you even attempt to steal at Kohls? I made a mistake with Wal-Mart, but Kohls is a whole different story. Our police departments rely on shoplifters from Kohls because there is nothing else to do.

If you have to appear at Waukesha County Court House, don't even bother. Just pay the fine. They are not going to reduce it.

HomeGuru

A couple of days ago I (along with a friend), was arrested at a Kohl's in Waukesha for shoplifting. We are both 19, and were given municipal citations with a $361 dollar fine. Kohl's banned us from all Kohl's shopping centers, and are sending us a fine also. We have a court date set up, but it is not mandatory. I

Is it worth going to court? Is there ANY way we can have this erased from our record? I've never been arrested before, and this is my first offense. I really regret what I did, and I just want to do "undo" it, as much as I can. What will going to court do?

Thanks!

Ashlee
**A: ask your parents to hire an attorney.

emilydawn05

Appearing at court will never worsen the situation, so I would recommend going. The most that will happen is the fine will get reduced, but the chances of the charge being dismissed are slim to none. Since you're over 18, it will also be on your record. My advice is to be thankful you got caught now, before your shoplifting got out of hand and resulted in misdemeanor or felony charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">