• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What counts as suitable work for an unemployed temp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenja

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I'm temping between jobs, so right now, according to my temp agent, my unemployment claim is through the temp agency. Therefore, also according to her, I have to take whatever job she offers me. She pressured me into taking a three-week assignment that offers only 25 hours a week, scheduled so I have no chance of getting a second job to make up the missing hours. The work itself is fine and the hourly rate is good, but I can't live on what it pays for 25 hours a week. Nor do I have any chance of getting full-time work that would support me while I am on this job.

Now the company is talking about keeping me on until the end of March. I want to refuse on grounds that the work is unsuitable because the hours are too short, and short hours are not the standard in my industry. Is this acceptable in Massachusetts? Will I still be able to claim unemployment after turning down the work?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only the DUA can answer those questions. But speaking from experience with MA, it is more likely that you will be entitled to partial benefits while working part time, than that you will still be eligible for benefits if you turn down the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">