• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posession Of Stolen Goods NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zanerare

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Is it possible to be charged with the above with no physical proof if the person who actually stole the goods said that I was in posession when I was not. The person charged is saying I had something in my house without my knowledge and since then has been turned over to the police. I have never been contacted by any police or detectives however they are saying they are going to charge me with posession. Thanks

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Is it possible to be charged with the above with no physical proof if the person who actually stole the goods said that I was in posession when I was not. The person charged is saying I had something in my house without my knowledge and since then has been turned over to the police. I have never been contacted by any police or detectives however they are saying they are going to charge me with posession. Thanks
Your post is a tad hazy.

Give us facts, details, info ...

zanerare

Person who broke in has not turned themselves in yet. The police are trying to build a case before arresting him and the other person involved. They have given said person until Friday to turn themselves in and confess. There is no physical evidence that these people actually did the break in just that they actually had the stolen items. There were 3 or 4 laptops stolen from a business and the police tracked them with lo-jack. When the police came to question them they only found 2 and they said I had the other one. So from what I have heard the very next day the 3rd one showed up at the police station and it was stated that they came to my house to retrieve it. I have never had a laptop in my house until I bought this one 2 weeks ago. I have never been questioned by the police investigating this case. I know everything I know because the company that was broken in to rents a space above the company I actually work for and the suspects use to work there. I am in jeapordy of losing my job should I be arrested. I am not sure what my rights are. I was told to just say yes I had one in my house but never knew it was stolen. I have researched this lo-jack thing which police have said they have traced back to my house but that it must connect to the internet in order to be traced. That is impossible as there are no open networks to connect here. Please advise. Thanks.

FlyingRon

There is no necessity that the police have proof that any particular person stole the goods for this charge. If you know or should reasonably know that the goods are stolen, that is all that is necessary.

You need a lawyer. Stop talking to the police without one. Stop talking to anybody about the crime without consulting one. If the stuff is valued at over than $1000 you're talking felony here.

zanerare

My whole issue is that I do not even know there was a laptop in my home. I never had any reason to believe there was one here. From what I can tell these people are saying I had one to cover for someone else. I have not spoken to any police individual about this as of yet. I am only hearing my name from the people I work with and what they are telling me they have heard. I am scared to death to have my name put in this situation and just want to know if anything can happen to me. That would be like me stealing something and putting it in your car or house without you knowing and then taking it and turning it in and you would never know.

Simply sign up for a google email address. When you sign up make your age under 13 yrs old so that everything in the inbox is recorded and validated. If the police try to contact you about the matter; tell them that you are willing to deal with any questions but somebody is spreading slander about you so the only way you can communicate about the matter is through that email address. Then give them the address.
If they do email anything to you, contact a lawyer and show them copies of the emails along with the headers.

What ever you do do not talk to them or answer any questions. Just tell them to email it to you so you and your council can reveiw it.

I highly doubt they will stick their necks out and put anything in an email that can latter hang them.

Other advice: DON"T TALK TO THEM. DON"T MEET THEM AT THE STATION. DON'T MAKE A STATEMENT, DON'T AGREE TO MAKE A STATEMENT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">