• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LAMetroHatesMe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At the end of December, I received a fare evasion citation (640b1) on the Red Line. I won't get into all the details, but I just want to pay it and be done with it. The officer told me they would send me something to my house and then I could pay it from there. This never came. I've tried searching for it (by ticket number and by my driver's liscense number) and no luck. I've tried calling the Sheriff's dept, the Attorney, and the court I am assigned to. The only one with any record of the ticket is the Sheriff. The rest have no sign of the ticket, but keep telling me to check back. The court date on the ticket is this coming Monday.

Basically what I'm asking is, has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know what's going on here? I don't even know how much the ticket is for. (I've done some research online, so I have a ballpark, but no definite). Should I embarrass myself by telling my boss today that I have to go to court on Monday, only to take it back in a few days?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At the end of December, I received a fare evasion citation (640b1) on the Red Line. I won't get into all the details, but I just want to pay it and be done with it. The officer told me they would send me something to my house and then I could pay it from there. This never came. I've tried searching for it (by ticket number and by my driver's liscense number) and no luck. I've tried calling the Sheriff's dept, the Attorney, and the court I am assigned to. The only one with any record of the ticket is the Sheriff. The rest have no sign of the ticket, but keep telling me to check back. The court date on the ticket is this coming Monday.

Basically what I'm asking is, has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know what's going on here? I don't even know how much the ticket is for. (I've done some research online, so I have a ballpark, but no definite). Should I embarrass myself by telling my boss today that I have to go to court on Monday, only to take it back in a few days?
Per Penal Code § 640(a), this violation is punishable by a fine not to exceed $250 and by community service for a total time not to exceed 48 hours over a period not to exceed 30 days.

All for a Metro ticket that would have cost you $1.25 :rolleyes: I know... you don't wanna get into the details!!!

Also, according to the L A County Bail Schedule, this citation requires a mandatory court appearance. You cant just pay it and be done with it. You must appear before a judge.

The "something" that the officer told you they would send you is called a courtesy notice and it is just that "a courtesy notice"; the court is under no obligation to send it so there is no guarantee you will get it. Also, if your address is different that what is on your license and unless you gave the citing officer your correct address then chances are you aren't gonna receive anything that was mailed to you.

Typically citations show up in court's records about 21 days after they are issued. The date on the citation, by the way, is not a court appearance date, it is the date that you must pay the fine by... but since you have a mandatory court appearance it translates into the last date to schedule your court appearance by.

If I were you I would definitely show up in court Monday Morning. Take you copy of the citation with you, go to the Clerk's window and if it still not in the system, ask them for Proof of Appearance, that way it doesn't go into a Failure To Appear which will end up costing you another chunk of money.

Also, and although this is only an infraction, have them check with the criminal court. I once had a big mess I ended up with when a traffic citation ended up in criminal as opposed to traffic.

After that you need to keep checking with the court until they have it in the system or until you get some sort of indication that it has gone away, but the latter will never happen.

Good luck...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">