• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving a friend's car with a suspended registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daverted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Recently I was driving my self and a friend of mine home in his car since he was too tired to drive. While on the road, I was pulled over. Apparently the car's registration had been suspended because my friend failed to make an insurance payment. Now I'm stuck holding the bag charged with a misdemeanor and facing a fine and possible jail time. The sticker on the window was valid, so I couldn't have known about the registration problem unless my friend told me, and he didn't. Do I have a case to plead not guilty since I had no idea the car's registration was suspended since it wasn't even my car?

The Occultist

Unfortunately, you, as the driver, are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the vehicle being used is compliant with all relevant vehicle codes, which it apparently wasn't.

Step 1: Have your friend get his registration current RIGHT NOW.

Step 2: Go to court with proof that the vehicle is now in compliance with the law. It is possible that a) you will get a complete dismissal, b) you will get a reduced fine, or c) the court will offer no sympathy and will assess you the full fine. If A is your result, then good for you. If B or C, move on to...

Step 3: Tell your "friend" to cough up whatever money you had to shell out for a violation that occurred because he was [possibly more] irresponsible [than you].

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">