• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question concerning suspension and loss of pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfzio

We have an employee that instigates problems at work. He thinks because of his size he can intimidate people. Most people ignore him but because he brings lots of income to the company management treats him like a star.
Unfortunately I'm the sort of person that gets easily upset when I encounter people that are bullies: I don't back down.
Today at work I was in a heated discussion with a low-level manager. This employee comes in making jokes and really getting to me so with a few, not so choice words I told him to kiss off.
At this time the room separated us: I was sitting at a desk with a wall to my back and he was standing. He came across the room in a threatening manner and I stood ready to defend myself. I told him to hit me, calling his bluff and in the process the bill of my cap tapped him. He left the room and I left the office.
To make a long story short, I was called in by our manager, made to fill out a written statement. I was told to come into the office and my manager, the other manager, that was present in the office at the time of the confrontation and the shop manager sat me down.
Here I was presented with accusations that I had "head-butted" this employee and as a result I was being suspended with no pay for one week. I was warned by my manager to be quiet and to sign a paper acknowledging that I understood the information.
I tried to tell that this was a lie and showed that I had no marks on my face or forehead and neither did the other employee. My manager told me it posed a problem being that he had two statements saying I did head-butt this employee.
I'm frightened that I could loose my job if I dispute this but at the same time I'm livid at the circus nature of the proceedings.
My boss told me to leave and not say a word but thank you. I asked why thank you and he told me to thank him because I still have my job.
Mechanic in Virginia

Hot Topic

Actually, the other employee and you should be getting on like gangbusters since you both have similar personality traits.

People who brag about not "backing down" are the same people who yell, "He started it!" when intervention by others is required, and they find themselves in handcuffs. Or suspended/terminated.

You should never be in the office having a heated discussion with anyone.

You baited "Mr. Big" by telling him to "kiss off," then you "invited" him to hit you. You're lucky he didn't take you up on it. As big as you indicate he is, he could have badly hurt you. And you would have asked for it.

Expect to be terminated. And consider getting in anger management class. The other guy is not the only one with behavioral problems.

Beth3

Unfortunately I'm the sort of person that gets easily upset when I encounter people that are bullies: I don't back down. That is unfortunate and I suspect you're just giving yourself an excuse for having a hot temper that you don't wish to control.

Today at work I was in a heated discussion with a low-level manager. This employee comes in making jokes and really getting to me so with a few, not so choice words I told him to kiss off.
At this time the room separated us: I was sitting at a desk with a wall to my back and he was standing. He came across the room in a threatening manner and I stood ready to defend myself. I told him to hit me, calling his bluff

Without excusing the other guy's behavior, yours was beyond ridiculous. If they don't terminate your employment, you'll indeed be very lucky.

Hot Topic

Interesting that the OP claimed that "the Hulk" was a troublemaker who used his size to intimidate other employees, yet two employees missed out on a chance to get rid of the Hulk. Instead of submitting statements that the Hulk was the aggressor, they named the OP. And it doesn't look like the other employees who "just ignored" the Hulk took the opportunity to get rid of their intimidator by backing the OP up.

I suspect the only person who was really bothered by him was the OP, and I sense jealousy as a component. Here's a big guy not giving the OP the respect he thinks he deserves, plus he gets rewarded for making the company a lot of money, a talent any company is going to appreciate and reward these days. And if he's such a jerk, how is the Hulk fooling all these companies into doing business with the one that employs him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">