• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheabirdno1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia, USA

I am a certified teacher in the state of Georgia. Last year, I resigned my position as a special education teacher at a local high school. It was an intolerable working environment. I had been accused by another teacher at the same school of making inappropriate statements to and around students. I denied the accusations. I received a letter from my principal stating that this was part of my file and warning me not to make such statements in the future. This letter stated that several staff members had reported this misconduct to him. I denied the accusations in writing, and asked that this letter be included in my personnel file I asked my principal to name the "several staff members" which he was hesitant to do. After some insistence on my part, he named the original accuser as well as three other staff members. I asked whether I was going to be fired from my job, because that would dictate what I would do next. My principal told me that I was not going to lose my job over this, and that I must remember to make certain I never repeat such action, etc. I assured him that not only had this NEVER happened, but also it never would happen, etc. When I asked him if this ended the matter, he indicated that it did.

What followed was what I considered harassment by the staff member who launched the accusations against me. He told students inappropriate things about me (that I had been fired because I was sexually harassing people). I brought the complaints to my principal, who said he would check into the matter. I never knew if he took any action. He called me to his office after my last complaint, and I assumed he was going to respond to my request for a follow-up to find out what he had discovered in the situation and what action he had taken, if any. Instead, he told me that I was not going to be renewed for the following school year. He said it was because of all that had happened. He told me that it would be better for me, professionally, if I resigned. He told me that would be the only way I could get a decent referral, and a non-renewal looked bad for a teacher to have when they are looking for a job. I resigned, and the Board of Education accepted my resignation.

Late summer 2008, I had a successful job interview with another school district, and the principal indicated that he wanted to hire me. However, after their personnel director called for a reference to my most recent employer, the job offer was rescinded and nobody in the district would speak to me regarding my reference or what was said about me.

After continued unsuccessful searches for employment, I applied for unemployment benefits. My principal told the Department of Labor that he had fired me for making inappropriate statements to students, and I was denied benefits. I requested an in-person hearing for an appeal, which resulted in me being awarded unemployment benefits from my former employer. I have benefits until around the last week of May.

I have continued to search for employment, but due to where I live, options are limited. There is currently not a job for which I am qualified within a 100-mile radius. Most school districts in my area and surrounding areas are under a hiring freeze due to budget problems. I search continually for work, but with my reputation having been ruined by my previous principal, my options are even further limited. I am beginning to feel that my career has been completely ruined.

sheabirdno1

Was there a question in there somewhere?
I'm so sorry! AFter reading my rambling message, I realized that I didn't actually ask a question. I want to know if what this principal said fits the definition of slander and whether or not I might have a case against him. I do not know what he said to the perspective employer when they called for a reference, but everything he said to the DOL is recorded.

Beth3

What the principal said to the unemployment office? No, that is not slander. From the principal's perspective, it was just a statement of fact. Your contract was not renewed because of the statements he belives you made. The fact that UC benefits were subsequently awarded doesn't make his comments slanderous.

sheabirdno1

Even the statements he made that he had fired me? That was not the truth. What about what he said to the perspective employer who called him for a reference? Do I have any way to find out what he said to them? The things he said to the DOL were complete lies. He made statements-under oath-that he cannot possibly substantiate.
Thanks for commenting.

Beth3

Even the statements he made that he had fired me? Not renewing your contract is the same as firing you.

What about what he said to the perspective employer who called him for a reference? Unless you know what was said, you can't take any legal action.

Do I have any way to find out what he said to them? Sorry, no. You can have someone call now for a reference and see what he says however.

The things he said to the DOL were complete lies. He made statements-under oath-that he cannot possibly substantiate. I've been to a lot of unemployment hearings (representing my employers) and if people were held accountable for the lies they told under oath at those things, in my experience, 90% of the employees who were fired for misconduct would all have been guilty of perjury. ("No, I never saw that warning. No, that's not my signature. No, they never told me if I did that again I'd be fired.") Forget the UC hearing. There's just nowhere to go with holding him accountable for things he said you didn't agree with or you thought were untruthful.

ombuds

job possibility

See DJJ Internet Home under the tab "employment."

They are often looking for special ed certified teachers in a rural environment; although they will also check references.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">