• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust Protect Assets of Spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swrdmbo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My Father has vascular dementia and is approaching Stage 7:(, and we are now having to think about placing him in a home. My parents have assets worth approx. 3/4 million , not including their residence.

This is all in a living trust.We figure my Dad's care will cost around 6K a month, which they will have to pay from income they now receive in the form of rental payments , etc.

Will the assets of their bank accounts,house, etc . be protected in this trust?
I am thinking that since this will all be private pay that it will not be an issue.

My second question is how the medical insurance will be utilized. If he is in a nursing home facility will Medicare and TriCare (he is retired Air Force) still pay any medical bills that may be associated with his care?

Any suggestions or comments as to what we may need to do will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

anteater

Will the assets of their bank accounts,house, etc . be protected in this trust?
I am thinking that since this will all be private pay that it will not be an issue.
I am unclear on who the assets are being protected from. Since a living trust is typically revocable, it is not an asset protection vehicle.

My second question is how the medical insurance will be utilized. If he is in a nursing home facility will Medicare and TriCare (he is retired Air Force) still pay any medical bills that may be associated with his care?
Medicare would continue to cover what it covered before. I don't know TriCare, but I would assume that the same applies.

Protecting the assets from whom, exactly?

The assets will be used to pay for care for your Dad, after insurance payments. I'm sure that is why your Dad worked hard all his life (and apparently served his country) - to provide for dignified care at the end of his life.

swrdmbo

I hope it will be dignified care...it really worries me...

There is absolutely no upside to this disease...it is such a cruel way to live out the rest of one's life.

Thank-you both for your help. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">