• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Electronics Investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeyd523

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

A state police officer along with a town officer came to my house today. They asked me to come down to the station to talk. At the station they show me a package they had intercepted in the mail(unknown how they got it). It contained an Ipod that I had sold on ebay and shipped out a few days ago. The Ipod turned out to be stolen along with a few other items i had sold in the past.

The officers interrogated me for a few hours and wrote down a few names of kids I had purchased electronics from. They tried to get me to claim I knew that the items were stolen, but answered that I had been told they were not stolen by the person that sold them to me. They had me sign a statement and recorded the conversation.

They said I could get charged with a few stolen items over $250 or whatever is considered to be a felony, or just have to pay for all the stolen items.

Should I get a lawyer? What would be a realistic punishment for this?

The prudent time to have retained a lawyer would've been BEFORE you voluntarily waived your right to remain silent. Now, you need to wait and see if charges are filed against you.

FlyingRon

If you knew or reasonably should have known the items were stolen, you are a fence and in that case the police are correct.

As Doug says, stop talking to the police without counsel at this point. You're in deep trouble. You might consult with a lawyer at this point (at least you'll have his number handy when they do come to arrest or question you further).

If the value of the goods is over $250 (or this is not your first offense) it is a FELONY.
You could get 5 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">