• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistake by the DPS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeTX23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

A few days ago I got a 2 conviction surcharge notices by mail from the TX DPS informing me that I had to pay $370+ for not having a Drivers License or Insurance. Neither of these charges is correct, I've had my DL & Insurance for years & furthermore Ive never gotten pulled over or ticketed. It goes on to tell me that If I don't pay in about a week, my DL will be suspended.

I thought it would be pretty easy to fix by going to my local municipal court, when I got there, they ended up sending me to the dps, telling me I had to fix it with them. The DPS were initially clueless & simply told me to call the number on the letter, so I did. After a few good wasted hours, I managed to learn that I was supposedly ticked in another city (Houston) despite never having gone or driven there. I went back to dps and they brought up my file & confirmed that I was supposedly charged in Houston.

An officer at the DPS said that it was likely someone w/ the same name but w/ no ID or DL got pulled over in Houston and the arresting officer ended up somehow putting the ticket under my name & DL. After I called Houston Municipal court and explained my situation, they told me the only way to fix it was by driving there (which is hours away) and filing a true identity motion. Any advice? How did this mistake happen? Who's accountable?

Last edited:

JETX

After I called Houston Municipal court and explained my situation, they told me the only way to fix it was by driving there (which is hours away) and filing a true identity motion. Any advice?
Yep. You should either hire an attorney to represent you in Houston... or drive there and file a true identity motion."

How did this mistake happen?
No one can guess.... however, it is NOT likely that if 'someone' used your name, you KNOW them. They would have to know your name, your DOB and your SSN in order for the officer to 'ID' you in Houston.

Who's accountable?
At the moment, you are.

racer72

I lost about 5 days work and spent many hours on the road clearing my name because of my druggy brother. I had to go through 5 positive ID hearings to clear up that mess and still have hoops to jump through just to do something as simple as renewing my license. My very first post to these forums was to ask advice about the above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">