• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grmln77

I am 19 years old. A policeman happened to see me and several friends using a bong inside our apartment. The cop saw us through a window. When we came out of the apartment, he gave us all a ticket for possession. We had nothing on us and there was no searching of the apartment. One friend plead guilty and received a $500 fine and a day in jail. Even though we had nothing on us, should I plead guilty? Or do I have a better chance pleading innocent to possession?

D

Daesy

Your best chance is to plead not gulity on your first appearance in court. That way you have the chance to hire an attorney, or if you can't afford one ask the judge for a referral to the Public Defenders office. This way you can get the attorney to bargain, which almost always works. This will work out good for you if you have a clean record, no other charges. And of course dress appropriately and respect the judge. You should never plead guilty to a charge like this like your friend did, remember a conviction will follow you around for the rest of your life.

I am not an attorney. I will not testify in any court of law for the advice I've given. What I have said is just that, advice. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">