• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

position elimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

myssesr

after almost 2 years with my company, they decided that they would "eliminate" the (my) receptionist position! This is a lot of bull! They went to an automated system (altho someone still has to pick up the phone to answer what comes back to the operator). And the rest of my responsibilites they divied out to the rest of the office, putting more work on an already overloaded staff. I think they just wanted me out and used this as an excuse. They said in view of recent economic setbacks they were eliminating the position, yet never offered for me to stay on in another capacity. They did give me my 2 weeks vac and 2 weeks severance pay and said i could apply for unemployment. Do i have any other recourse?

L

loku

job discontinued

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

If the above paragraph applies to you (there is no employment contract, union, or discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, etc.), then you have no recourse. What they did is very common lately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">