• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Compensation for former "owner" of Subchapter S Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roddhall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

From 1979 to 1990 I worked for IBM, in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, with well documented earnings in the form of regular paychecks. In 1990 I started a small retail business and incorporated it as a Subchapter S corporation. From its inception in 1990 until 2000, my former wife and I were the only shareholders in this corporation. When we divorced in 2000, I became the sole shareholder. From 1990 until June 2005 I received wages as an employee of the corporation. Between June 2005 and November 2008 when the business closed, I received no paychecks, taking living expenses from the corporation as distributions. In November 2008 I lost the lease on the business premises. Because of the nature of the business and the equipment involved, it was financially impossible at that time for me to relocate the business, so I closed it permanently. The corporation is still registered in the state of Wisconsin "in good standing", but is no longer active. I am now, and have been for some time, seeking employment.

Is it possible for me to collect Unemployment benefits and if so, how?

roddhall

I assume you are asking if the corporation made regular deposits of the required Federal and State (WI) Unemployment Taxes. Yes, the corporation paid nearly $8,000 in FUTA taxes, filed all required Forms 940, and paid nearly $1,400 in Wisconsin Unemployment taxes.

pattytx

If you haven't paid yourself wages since June, 2005, you would not be financially eligible. The states looks at wages earned/reported, for a claim started in first quarter of 2009, from 10/1/07-9/30/08.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">