• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this classified as excessive absence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

selectme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa

We have an employee who has been with us for a year. He has during this year taken off 5.25 weeks (unpaid) over various individual days. The reasons given are have to go to the doctor, wife is sick, have to fix wifes car, take wife to doctor, am closing on a house, have to meet with banks, the list goes on and on. We gave him a verbal warning a few weeks ago (as per our employee manual) and he has taken 2 days off again in the last 2 weeks so we are preparing a written warning. The question is, is this amount considered excessive in the eyes of UC or by the Labor union? It is difficult for us to schedule or even use him when he is gone and not working full weeks and the other employees are becoming resentful since they do all a lot of what he does on their own time. In the union, they do not get paid for time off so technically if a worker wants to take off here and there they are able to do so but there is a limit.....So I guess my question is....what is excessive? Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no legal definition of "excessive". There is no bright line that says x number of days is not excessive while x plus one is excessive.

I would consider what you have described excessive but I have not read the CBA that your employee works under. What the union considers excessive and what I do may not correspond. As for the unemployment office, they're the only ones who can say and it might vary from adjuster to adjuster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">