• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Stolen from a found wallet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Davidalan82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
So about a month ago a wallet was found where I work. The person who found the wallet turned it in. Then that person asked the general manager what to do with it, So the person was instructed to put it in a the lost and found box (Which many people have access to) its in a high traffic area. So instead of it being inventoried it was just thrown in the mail box. So I came into work a bit early that day and checked my mailbox as I typically do. I did not even know that the wallet was in the mailbox until the owner called and asked if it were found. So I ask the person whom was working that day and she said yes it is in the lost and found box. So I went back to pick up the wallet to get a description of the wallet, So I described the wallet to the owner then the owner asked that I see how much money is in the wallet. So I did ALONG with a witness ( I NEVER OPEN A WALLET WITHOUT A WITNESS) to discover there is no money in there. The person who found it said there was money in there when it was found. So in the time that the wallet was put in the box to the time I came in the money was gone. Now about how I got in this mess...
I am a VERY nervous person I rock bite my nails and am always thinking people are out to get me. So the cops were called by the GM and so I asked stupid questions like "What if some of the money was found would they drop the case or would they continue to pursue it?" Just stupid questions like that just cuz I was TOTALLY curious. So after the police had left I asked the girl to go to the bathroom where the wallet was found and see if some of the money may had fallen out or someone was hiding it. So she did she found nothing. So then myself and the another co worker went down the hall where it was found and I was in the hall looking through the brochures and he had found $100 in 20s. So I picked up the money and brought it to the desk. Now the police think that I put the money there and I thought it was over because they did not take a statement from me but did from others and just a whole lot of weird things. So I thought it was over and then a detective comes to my door asking if I would consent to a poly graph test. I said I would do it to clear my name but my friends tell me it does not matter the results, so now I am confused I am not sure what to do. I am told that if they had enough to convict me then they would of already. But my question is this...
Should I take the test?
Should I worry about the outcome?

Can I be convicted? when they don't have had evidence.
I was also told to go to my corporate office and see if I can get the GM in trouble cuz this is all his fault for not locking the found wallet up.
Thank you for taking the time to read this...I know its long I look forward to your response.I am a VERY nervous person I rock bite my nails and am always thinking people are out to get me. So the cops were called by the GM and so I asked stupid questions like "What if some of the money was found would they drop the case or would they contiue to presue it?" Just stupid questions like that just cuz I was TOTALLY curious. So after the police had left I asked the girl to go to the bathroom where the wallet was found and see if some of the money may had fallen out or someone was hiding it. So she did she found nothing. So then myself and the another co worker went down the hall where it was found and I was in the hall looking through the brochures and he had found $100 in 20s. So I picked up the money and brought it to the desk. Now the poilce think that I put the money there and I thought it was over becasue they did not take a statemeant from me but did from others and just awhole lot of werid things. So I thought it was over and then a detective comes to my door asking if I would consent to a poly graph test. I said I would do it to clear my name but my frineds tell me it does not matter the resluts, so now I am confused I am not sure what to do. I am told that if they had enought to convict me then they would of alreay. But my question is this...
Should I take the test?
Should I worry about the outcome?

Can I be convecited? when they don't have had evidence.
I was also told to go to my corpate office and see if I can get the GM in trouble cuz this is all his fault for not locking the found wallet up.
Thank you for taking the time to read this...I know its long I look forward to your response.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hell - you wrote that stuff to put yourself in the best light possible, and even I think you took the money!

CdwJava

COULD you be convicted? Sure. The circumstances put you in a bad light. WILL you be? Who knows. heck, you haven't even been charged.

As for the polygraph, that's your call. No ne can force you to take a polygraph. But, your employer might feel that they have enough to terminate you without it, and if they do then your refusal to take it might result in your unemployment. You might consider consulting an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">