• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notme1999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Both my roommate and I are being questioned with our alleged knowledge of the identity of an assailant. Basically a guy got his jaw broke and his buddies claim that both my roommate and I know who this guy is when really we do not. My question is how deep do we have to be involved in this investigation before we stop answering police calls and talking with investigators? The police have no leads and are just questioning us based on the assumption we know who this guy is simply because some people say we knew the guy.

The officer called both our parents at midnight and asked if they knew how to contact us and the officer only calls past 10 pm at night which is very frustrating. This has been going on for a week now and he keeps asking more and more questions. He has threatened us with obstruction of justice and aiding and embedding a felon?

Any suggestions or laws I can protect myself with??

Thanks for your help

Well someone getting their jaw busted sounds really bad!
If calling late at night is harrassing to you and your family, simply tell that that. If you don't want them to call you, then tell them that email is the prefered method and give them an email address to contact you at.

notme1999

Well someone getting their jaw busted sounds really bad!
If calling late at night is harrassing to you and your family, simply tell that that. If you don't want them to call you, then tell them that email is the prefered method and give them an email address to contact you at.

Thanks for the reply, I guess my question was do I even HAVE to talk to the police? My roommate and I have already exchanged numbers with the officer and talked to him twice. We are not friends with these people anymore since they blame us for the incident and would like to not be involved anymore since it is a hassle and we have given our statements to the officer.

Alex23

Haven't you ever watched Law and Order? No one ever talks to the police.

That is, unless they have proof that you know the assailant. Then they will try to muscle you with obstruction charges.

Why don't you just tell them who it is? That whole 'snitches' bs doesn't hold any weight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">