• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor destroys house he is hired to repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
I would really appreciate some feedback on this issue. If at all possible, please give comments this time.

I contracted with a "general contractor" who is also a "minister/preacher" and was referred to me to do some home repair work. We had a written contract that specified what was to be done and a definite end date. This person brought in his girlfriend and 14-year old son to butcher my house. It is in worse shape than when he began, and is obvious that he didn't know what he was doing. His name was the one on the contract. Turns out he is not licensed even though he said he was. When I refused to give him the full amount of the contract price because of how he had destroyed my place, he threatened to sue me for breach in order to collect the remainder. I am thinking of opening a police report against BOTH of them for destruction of property and stealing items that did not belong to them, for example, the iron security door was removed by removing the bricks that it was attached to and is no longer there. Once the report is filed then I would move on to criminal and civil charges. I have been told by a friend to file a report with the local Homebuilders Association, since he would be classified as a homebuilder under state law.

Please, please give me some feedback as to the best way to handle this situation. Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">