• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Standing vs. Parking vs. Fire Lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike_smith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I just got a quick question (hopefully). I recently had the privilege of receiving a parking ticket {sarcasm} in front of a grocery store awaiting for my wife to come out w/ my young child. I was given a 'warning' because I was in front of the store which was the fire lane. I had in fact turned off the car so I did appreciate the 'warning'.

I moved and turned around in the parking lot and was literally standing - car was not in park - still running - at the end of the parking lanes (where the lines are) and was given the ticket that stated I was parked in the fire zone.

I can't seem to locate information on 'fire zone' (b/c i was not in front of the yellow curb) and/or "no parking" definition for this particular jurisdiction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

FlyingRon

I've never seen a statue that makes the status of the gear shift, engine running, part of the definition of parking/standing/stopping. Standing generally means stopped for the purpose of actively loading or unloading cargo and passengers. Waiting around for people while they are in the store is parking.

Ohio lets local jurisdictions write their own non-criminal parking rules, so if you're going to fight this you probably need some specialized local assistance.

However, I suspect you aren't getting anywhere with either the "I wasn't parked" or "this wasn't a fire lane" argument.

mike_smith

While that is true FlyingRon and btw thanks for the sarcasm I truly appreciate it.

Nonetheless there was no indication that I was NOT in the manner of motion. It was in a manner of seconds - not minutes. In actuality there could be an argument made that I was in motion but awaiting for another automobile to move (which can be seen by the police officers video - if it were going that far)

Also, regarding the fire lane I was asking in reference to whereabouts a fire lane extends to exactly. I am unfamiliar with the zoning on commercial property and wanted to know if those "stripped lines" reference a "fire lane".

On local jurisdiction wouldn't they have it available online for the public or not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">