• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitney.jojo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida I was arrested a few weeks ago in California for a warrant issued in 1992 for aggravated battery In Dade County Florida I was never charged in a court room. I wasn't aware there was a warrant out for me. I have had numerous contacts with law enforcement since a misdemeanor in 1999 another in 2000 a felony in 2002 and a felony conviction in 2006 which I went to prison and am currently on Parole now in California; all charges were drug related. On feb 9th I signed extraditions papers and on the 24th of feb i was released from jail when florida faxed papers stating they were not coming to get me. I called florida and they stated i needed to come to florida in order get the warrant taken care of. Is there a statue of limitations issue? why did the warrant just pop up now after all these years and not when i had previous contact with law enforcement. I'm sure they run checks before releasing inmates from prison. can they still charge me 17 years later?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida I was arrested a few weeks ago in California for a warrant issued in 1992 for aggravated battery In Dade County Florida I was never charged in a court room. I wasn't aware there was a warrant out for me. I have had numerous contacts with law enforcement since a misdemeanor in 1999 another in 2000 a felony in 2002 and a felony conviction in 2006 which I went to prison and am currently on Parole now in California; all charges were drug related. On feb 9th I signed extraditions papers and on the 24th of feb i was released from jail when florida faxed papers stating they were not coming to get me. I called florida and they stated i needed to come to florida in order get the warrant taken care of. Is there a statue of limitations issue? why did the warrant just pop up now after all these years and not when i had previous contact with law enforcement. I'm sure they run checks before releasing inmates from prison. can they still charge me 17 years later?
Ahhhh....computers sure have come a long way!

Any time limit ended when the warrant was issued. I suggest that you visit Florida, as you have been instructed to do. You may want to contact criminal attorneys in Florida before you make the trip though...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">