• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offender Status - Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sage Slinger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

When I was 23 I did something very stupid and took something that did not belong to me. Even though I was a veteran and had never even had so much as a speeding ticket, I was sentenced to 10 years to serve 3 years. I spent 22 months in prison for a 9800 theft. When I got out, I immediately went to the bank and borrowed the full amount of the fine and restitution (12000) and paid it on the first day I reported to my parole officer. They had no idea what to do with the full amount as they had never had anyone pay in full before. I had no intentions of paying 10 bucks a month or whatever the payment arrangements are.

Anyway, come this May, I will be off of probation. I got first offender treatment meaning that this can come off of my record. I have not been in trouble since. I own my own business and I don't drink or do drugs. I guess you could call me a white collar guy. I am a consultant for auto dealerships and I have a thriving business.

My question is, will my record just become erased or do I have to do something to have it erased? Since I am a first offender, am I allowed to vote and own a firearm immediately after my probation is over or do I have to do something to make it legal? I used to hunt before I was charged and I have been looking forward to spending some time in the woods with my sons.

Thanks in advance.

georgia.gov - Obtaining Criminal History Record Information
If the terms of the first offender sentence are successfully completed, and the probationer discharged, the arrest record is sealed. GCIC must receive official notification that the subject has successfully completed the FOA requirements. The record is not automatically sealed based on the elapse of the probation sentence.
You should make sure that your probation officer notifies the court when you have completed your sentence. The court should then notify GBI/GCIC.

These things do not necessarily happen immediately. If the court is backlogged, then it could take a while. Until your record is updated, I suggest not purchasing or possessing any firearms. It would be a good idea to run a GCIC check on yourself just to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">