• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking ticket - date of offense missing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kabhikabhi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Violation in NYC. Driving License from NJ.

Hi,

This weekend I got a parking ticket ($95) for the violation of parking in area of authorized vehicles.

My ticket has missing "Date of Offense". I think that should be a valid reason for ticket dismissal on the ground of "Defective Ticket". Please let me know if you think otherwise.

I stay in Central NJ so going personally to get the ticket dismissed is not worth the time and money.
Can the ticket be dismissed over the Phone? if yes then what should I say to the operator.

how about Internet? I can scan the ticket and send the email. how should i draft the email?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

- kabhikabhiWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

You can plead by mail, details are on the back of the ticket or the nyc.gov website. As far as whether the missing information is necessary, had you taken the 5 minutes you spent registering and posting on searching this site, you would have found your answer and had 3 minutes to spare. Give it a shot, you might like it.

Search button is ^^^ in-between "New Posts" and "Quick Links".

kabhikabhi

thanks

To "You Are Guilty" : Thanks for your reply. Infact I had gone through the forum and did my search before drafting that post. And from the forum only i got the pdf which clearly indicates that missing "date of offense" makes the the ticket technically defective. i've become more confident after going through the forum. and especially yours in various threads. btw, why people call you local guru is also evident from your answers. thanks for your reply...

the reason i posted my query was to figure out, if by any chance somebody's ticket was not dismissed though being technically defective. in that case it would have helped me to be prepare on that front.

btw, i read more threads in forum and hace decided to make my defense on two points
1) defective ticket due to missing date
2) i've photographs of parking sign was misleading. so i will attach that too. (infact this is the truth because i also checked other parked cars in the same area)

anyways, thanks to all the users in the forum for their inputs. I will keep you all posted with my ticket update.

thanks.
- kabhikabhi

You Are Guilty

btw, i read more threads in forum and hace decided to make my defense on two points
1) defective ticket due to missing date
2) i've photographs of parking sign was misleading. so i will attach that too. (infact this is the truth because i also checked other parked cars in the same area)
#1 is a winner, but to answer your question, yes, the PVB sometimes ignores the rules and upholds technically defective tickets. So if that happens, you just appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">