• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocated and then laid off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Howellfirst

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was just notified my company sold the division I work for. I have been offered a position by the new owner but would rather move back. I was relocated and given a relocation 6 months ago to work at this division. Should I be entitled for a relocation package to move me back to my home state? What is the company's liability and do I have the right to sue for the same relocation package that moved me to a different state.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was just notified my company sold the division I work for. I have been offered a position by the new owner but would rather move back. I was relocated and given a relocation 6 months ago to work at this division. Should I be entitled for a relocation package to move me back to my home state? What is the company's liability and do I have the right to sue for the same relocation package that moved me to a different state.
**A: what do you have in writing?

Howellfirst

I have 20 years with the company...3 relocations in total. I have my offer letter for the position here. Just gives the salary, relocation package, and bonus plan

HomeGuru

I have 20 years with the company...3 relocations in total. I have my offer letter for the position here. Just gives the salary, relocation package, and bonus plan
**A: that's not what I was asking. I meant what do you have in writing re: relocation package back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Should I be entitled for a relocation package to move me back to my home state?

You are not entitled to one by law, no.

What is the company's liability

None. You have an offer of employment. It's not the company's fault you don't want it. IF you had bona fide proof that the company knew of the sale before they moved you AND you were left high and dry without employment they might have some, but under the circumstances you describe, they don't.

and do I have the right to sue for the same relocation package that moved me to a different state.

You mean, do you have a winnable case to sue? No, you don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">