• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get out of this payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

percias

Urbandale, Iowa

I had signed a contract with a company stating something to the fact about educational reibursment if I did not stay for 2 years. I left after a year because of many reasons and recieved a bill for the education that I did. Things to point out.... The company changed names, not in a buy out but because they were losing a leagal battle for the name so to me I would think they would have to have an amendment to keep any contracts alive.... also all the training that I took was nessassary for me to perform the duties they wanted me to do and I left to do nothing that I took the education for. This company is a technical training center that does it's own in-house training, and that is the training that they are thinking I need to pay for.
Can anyone answer with this much info or is more needed?

B

buddy2bear

Usually, a contract is a contract unless the terms are too eggregious. You agreed to stay with the company for 2 years in exchange for training or advance education. You left 1 year later. You breached your contract and they have every right to pursue reimbursement. You could try, however, to negotiate a lesser payment, but they don't have to negotiate with you if they don't want to.

percias

The terms were not in exchange for... it was just stated that if I left before 2 years and had done any training then they wanted a form of payment for that training.. the big however here is that all the training I took which was in house by their instructors was to advance their income soley.. I have not profited from that education but they did by having me teach the classes I got the education on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">