• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation versus termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwasja

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS.
After working 4 months for a local municipal government, I have been told that I am being terminated. Reason for termination was that I did not possess required experience to meet position requirements. In late Jan, I received a salary increase associated with increased level of responsibilities that were assigned. My supervisor has given me the option to resign. I believe if I resign I will be unable to apply for unemployment benefit while seeking new employment. What are the advantages/disadvantages of resigning versus being terminated?

ecmst12

In most cases, the unemployment board will see a resign-or-be-fired agreement as an involuntary termination. I don't see the advantage of resigning though.

pattytx

The "advantage" to resigning is a perceived one. You could honestly put on future job applications that you "resigned" from this job, rather than being "fired", although being discharged because your skill set and experience was not what the company assumed doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">