• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wholefoods forced to sign letter of contingency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrxbandit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am opening a new wholefoods store, and was officially hired february 17th. Last night, i was told that the manager would like to see me so i went back, and he had a predated contract of contingency with my name on it dated for february 17th. He said i had to sign it because it wasnt processed in my paper work stating that it sais my employeement is contingent on my background check which has one misdomeanor, no felonies. I signed it considering i must have missed it in my packet, then talked to some of my team members, who were not put on contingency, and have never heard of such a contract. I'm going back this morning to repeal my signature, because i did not enter the contract on 2/17, rather 3/3, and should not be made to enter a contract not required by any of my team members. Ill let you know how the repeal goes. Possible civil litigation?

HomeGuru

I am opening a new wholefoods store, and was officially hired february 17th. Last night, i was told that the manager would like to see me so i went back, and he had a predated contract of contingency with my name on it dated for february 17th. He said i had to sign it because it wasnt processed in my paper work stating that it sais my employeement is contingent on my background check which has one misdomeanor, no felonies. I signed it considering i must have missed it in my packet, then talked to some of my team members, who were not put on contingency, and have never heard of such a contract. I'm going back this morning to repeal my signature, because i did not enter the contract on 2/17, rather 3/3, and should not be made to enter a contract not required by any of my team members. Ill let you know how the repeal goes. Possible civil litigation?
**A: no, possible unemployment.

xylene

WHOLE FOODS HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG

You can be fired or not hired for your criminal record at any time.

You can be fired for 'retracting' your signature.

Your potential employer you a big break by allowing you to sign paperwork you SHOULD have signed when you made your application.

I'd see that as good sign that they want you to get hired. If I was the manager and saw that you had failed to sign a major release and consent for I would not have considered you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
no one on my team was presented with the same document. Valid advice anyone?
Yep - as was said previously:

WHOLE FOODS HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG

You can be fired or not hired for your criminal record at any time.

You can be fired for 'retracting' your signature.

Your potential employer you a big break by allowing you to sign paperwork you SHOULD have signed when you made your application.

I'd see that as good sign that they want you to get hired. If I was the manager and saw that you had failed to sign a major release and consent for I would not have considered you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that no one else on your team was required to sign such a letter does not make it illegal for them to require you to sign one.

Specifically what do you think gives you a cause of legal action?

scrxbandit

Does the form having been predated almost a month for me effect the legitimacy of it? Essentially signing my own possible termination

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And where did you get the idea that common sense had anything to do with law?

Please state, SPECIFICALLY, what law you believe was violated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">