• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conviction limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Duke72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have filled out some applications that ask if I have been convicted of a felony within the last 7 years. Then some just ask if I was ever convicted of a felony. My questions is, how old can a conviction be where you don't have to put it down? BTW my conviction was 16 years ago, do I have to by law disclose it?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Once you have the conviction, there is NEVER a time when you can say, No, to the question, have you EVER.... If the conviction was 10 years ago and they ask about 7 years, you can say no to that. But EVER is EVER FOREVER.

There may or may not be a time, depending on state law, when the employer can only consider information from x number of years ago. But barring expungements and not always then, the ONLY correct answer to have you EVER, is Yes.

Many employers will forgive a single mistake, especially if it was a long time ago. Few if any will forgive being lied to, and it is far easier for a lie to be exposed than you might believe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">