• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Unregistered Vehicle Not Mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebawler

Hello,

I received 2 of the same tickets for driving an unregistered vehicle in California (dumb I know, I was trying to get the car fixed to pass smog and got a 2nd ticket) The Violation is 4000A1X 29. The bail amount is $25 with proof of correction. The problem is that the car is not mine and the question I have is......what if the owner or myself cannot register the vehicle? Do I have to pay a larger fine? If I have to pay a larger fine does anyone know how much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The use of the terms "smog" and "bail amount" (when applied to a traffic ticket) and a violation code that looks like a contraction of a California Vehicle Code section (4000 covers registration, 4000.1 covers smog).

The answer is that it's $25 "fee" for the correctable offense. If you don't correct you'll pay $50 (I believe) plus costs which can be substantially larger.

Get the thing properly registered.

thebawler

The use of the terms "smog" and "bail amount" (when applied to a traffic ticket) and a violation code that looks like a contraction of a California Vehicle Code section (4000 covers registration, 4000.1 covers smog).

The answer is that it's $25 "fee" for the correctable offense. If you don't correct you'll pay $50 (I believe) plus costs which can be substantially larger.

Get the thing properly registered.
Well, the DMV is requiring a smog certificate to renew the registration. As I said in my OP, the car is not mine. The ticket was not for smog, it is for the registration, and I was just curious to know what I would have to do if I am unable to register the vehicle. $50 isn't bad if that is the case. Thank you for your reply and any further helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Occultist

Unfortunately, the fact that the vehicle doesn't belong to you doesn't mean anything as it is your responsibility, as the operator, to ensure, prior to operating, that the vehicle is in compliance with the law.

thebawler

Unfortunately, the fact that the vehicle doesn't belong to you doesn't mean anything as it is your responsibility, as the operator, to ensure, prior to operating, that the vehicle is in compliance with the law.
OK, I understand, but I don't think that you answered my question. If I am unable to get the vehicle registered, what happens then? Registering this vehicle is out of my control at the moment. Am I going to have to pay a large fine? Am I going to go to jail? If there is a fine do you know how much? Thanks in advance.

The Occultist

Am I going to go to jail?
Heh, I did have to chuckle at that (please take no offense). As long as you pay whatever fines are assigned to you based on the violation, there will be absolutely no chance of jail time for you.

And the reason why I "didn't answer [your] question" is because Ron had answered it twice already. :p

CdwJava

OK, I understand, but I don't think that you answered my question. If I am unable to get the vehicle registered, what happens then? Registering this vehicle is out of my control at the moment. Am I going to have to pay a large fine? Am I going to go to jail? If there is a fine do you know how much? Thanks in advance.
If it is unable to be registered, eventually it will be impounded. When the registration is expired for more than 6 months, then it goes bye-bye.

Each violation will cost you about $190 if not corrected. No jail, though. Unless you fail to appear in court, THEN you might get a warrant for your arrest.

- Carl

CdwJava

The fine for having no registration is somewhere in the $190 range....
According to the 2009 Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule it indicates $190. I would have thought your neck of the woods would have been higher than the recommended ... unless $150 was from the 2008 level? I think a lot of the 2009 fines and fees have not yet kicked in since many of the recent fines are still coming from 29008 violations.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">