• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket from 1988

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raiderick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?California I went to renew my CDL and found out I can't until I clear up A traffic ticket I got in bullhead city AZ. in 1988 it was for as they put it failure to register in AZ. FTA . It was expired registration with FTA they want $411.00 is there any way around this or way of getting it dismissed or lowered

I_Got_Banned

... it was for as they put it failure to register in AZ.
And how would you put it?

You did not state that the citation was issued in error or that you had reason to contest it at the time that it was issued... Additionally, you don't state that you did in fact pay it or that you had it dismissed. So on what grounds are you suggesting that they should dismiss it lower it or allow you to circumvent your way around it 22 years after the fact?

With as hard up as they are for money these days, consider yourself lucky that they have not enacted any laws enabliing them to charge additional penalties and interest on the past due fine amount...

The Occultist

The ball is completely in their court and they are not obligated in the least to lower/dismiss the fines, nor are they likely to entertain any thoughts thereof.

The first thing you need to do is call the court and ask if this can be handled from a distance. It is possible that you may have to physically go into the court to turn yourself in, pay the bail amount, and the rest of your fines.

Courts are usually willing to allow you to set up payment plans, so you should make sure to ask them if that is a viable option. It's also possible that having your status changed to being in repayment may mean that you will then be able to get your CDL.

You may wish to consider seeking the representation an attorney local to the court handling your case. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so take advantage and talk to a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

flarityj

Come on now

22 years? For failure to pay tabs? And you can't continue to ignore it because AZ has found a way to link it to CA. I would write the Arizona court and tell them have made a clerical error. Ask to have the charge removed from the record. The statue of limitations for serious crimes in a lot shorter than 22 years.

If that doesn't work, this should be short work for a local attorney. Any easy request for records should get rid of it.

First, I would do a little investigation as to what changed that caused you a problem after all this time. You need to define that change as the "error".

After this much time, you can try all kinds of otherwise crazy tactics. I got out of a somewhat similar situation (but only 6 years) by insisting that it was another person because my address was different. I though this was a reach, because there are only 50 people with my last name in the USA--but it worked.

I_Got_Banned

The statue of limitations for serious crimes in a lot shorter than 22 years.
The statute (not statue) of limitations does not apply here. The OP (the defendant in this case) was charged when he was handed the citation... The statute of limitations applies to the time period between committing the violation/midemeanor/felony and the time the state charges him with it in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">