• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheks900

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york city.
my son and 3 other so called friends looted a burned down building and got arrested. the 3 friends where released with one $1.oo bail.
and my son recieved a$ 8,ooo bail. now they where all caught with evedence and are the same age as my son. they are out but not my son.
now my question is ...what can I do? and what can happen? and is this fair?
he is 17 years old..
oh by the way my son got beat up by the cop and this cop has harassed my kids and others. I dont know much about the law so I need any advice on this.
thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sorry for not including detail.
well my son had a camera and the others had gold and money.
my son didnt assault the cop but he did raise his arms to cover from being strangled . this is from witnesses that saw this happend.
my sons lawyer said that the reason he got a high bail was due to having the bad luck appearing in front of a paticular judge. the rest saw another judge.
my son was not near the buildind when arrested. he is even bieng accused of stealing a sidekick that his girlfriend got him. she has no reciept for it. please let me know if this info is helpful.

Last edited:

djevans

something here is missing.

why did all your sons friends get a 1 dollar bond when your son got an 8k bond.

your son probably assaulted an officer. also, what did they loot and what is he being charged with?

no one can really help you unless you give us all the facts

cyjeff

Different judges give different bail.

It happens.

If the other witnesses to the violence upon your son were the other thieves, that won't carry much weight.

Needless to say, but your son needs an attorney immediately. Looting has it's own set of legal tangles... and there may be some VERY interesting court appearances ahead.

cheks900

thank you

thank you very much for the advice.
the witnesses are ppl from the neighborhood.
and uh what do you mean "there may be some VERY interesting court appearances ahead."? I am new in this and I like to know what will or/can happen. so I can be aware. it may be silly but I hate not knowing about any of this criminal law stuff.
:confused:

cyjeff

thank you very much for the advice.
the witnesses are ppl from the neighborhood.
and uh what do you mean "there may be some VERY interesting court appearances ahead."? I am new in this and I like to know what will or/can happen. so I can be aware. it may be silly but I hate not knowing about any of this criminal law stuff.
:confused:
I haven't looked up the statutes in a while, but some jurisdictions view looting (which this was) as it's own set of crimes with higher penalties than typical theft.

The state's way of trying to help a person whose house just got burned down now being the victim of theft as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">