• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Discrimination

• Thread starter kevinsroomatchelsea
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevinsroomatchelsea

Ohio, Male, 44 years old

I have recently immigrated to the USA having married a US citizen.
I applied for a job. During the interview I was asked how I felt about working with younger people. I was hired by the Manager subject to "passing" a New Employee Test and the District Managers ok.The Manager stated he definetly wanted me.
The hiring, suject to the above was confirmed 3 times by telephone and once in the store in front of a credible witness.
The Manager later told me I had "failed" the test and could not be employed. I strongly disagreed and asked for the District Managers name and telephone number. When I called him I asked if I had failed the test and he said "no". I asked, "in that case why was I not hired as I was recommended by the Manager who completed the interview" and his manager were giving contradictory statements. He stated he was not prepared to discuss it. I asked if he made his decision based on age or nationality. He became abusive and said how did he know what nationality I was and I explained it was in my resume and surely he could not be the only person in the USA not to notice my accent. I told him I would take this up with his CEO and he put the phone down.
Later he called called me back. He apologized for his behaviour and said under no circunstances was he prejudiced. He did however say he had a track record of hiring "younger employees" and that he had employed someone from Belgium and that I was over qualified.
He asked if I was still interested in the post and would I meet with him on Monday. I said I would.
I firmly believe I have been discriminated against on the grounds of age or nationality or both.
My questions are:
1. Am I entitled to take action for discrimination on age or race?
2. If he now changes his mind and offers me a post because he is aware I am prepared to litigate how do I protect myself in the event of him looking for excuses to fire me?

ALawyer

I doubt that you'd be able to pay a lawyer to sue and that if you did you'd win much, if anything.

Take the job if you want it. If not, don't. Get over it. I often tell people they have a good case. This is not one of those times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">