• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpeterson4141

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I was just laid off from a car dealership. I had worked there 10 months and they gladly said when I was laid off that they would honor unemploment benefits. So I filed last week. Now, the state of MN is inquiring about a job I quit back in Oct of 2007 because apparently October of 2007 falls into how far they go back with your job records. It was a job working 20 hours a week making $9.00 an hour and I quit because of an alcohol problem. I have since been through treatment and have been sober 14 months now. My question is**************can they deny my unemployment because of this? I would think there main concern would be my most recent employer whom I've worked for 10 months and is willing to dish out the unemployment???? This whole thing has me worried sick. They haven't denied my unemployment yet but I'm affraid they will!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Beth3

The UC Division doesn't care that you had an alcohol problem and went through treatment (good for you by the way.) They're only looking to see what employer accounts they should tap into to pay your UC benefits. Since you quit this prior job voluntarily, this employer isn't liable for any payment of UC benefits to you now that you're unemployed.

Provided you've worked a sufficient number of weeks and earned a sufficient amount of wages over the prior 12 months/4 quarters, there's no basis to deny UC benefits. You can calm down. :)

rpeterson4141

I think the UC does care about the job I quit 17 months ago because there detemination of the whole situation is pending upon why I quit there and what that employer has to say about it. If they didn't care, then my case wouldn't be "pending." I still don't feel to good about this one!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">