• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsibility of medical on dependents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cindan

Indiana, Who is responsible for medical bills on dependents, when divorce decree says father is to hold insurance and to pay all medical expenses? 10 years later I am (mother) being sued for medical bills incurred for the children, since I signed the papers for treatment. How do I go about holding father responsible after all this time without incurring attorney fees?

JETX

Looks like you have a problem.

Most hospital admission forms include a provision for who is responsible for the billing. If you put your ex-husbands name and insurance information, they would probably be going after him (at least initially). However, you probably put your name down and signed the form.

Here is what will probably have to happen: Make sure that the hospital has the correct insurance information for your husbands provided policy (per the decree). Then, the uninsured portion should be first billed to your ex-husband. Any amounts that he doesn't pay (or all of it), the hospital will come to you for payment and you will have to pay to protect your credit. You will then have two scenarios:

1) You can get an attorney to file for recovery of your damages, and contempt of decree, in the original divorce court, and/or
2) You can sue your 'ex' to recover your damages. Assuming it is within the Small Claim court limitation, you can sue there and save your attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">