• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mar63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My husband and I have been waiting since last September (almost 6 months) to find out whether or not we are going to be charged with something we didn't even do. We're not sure what is normal here but it seems as if our lawyer just is brushing us off every time we try to ask any questions. It's been a game of "I'll look into it when I get back from vacation", then "well, I'll call the detective", wait 3 weeks to find out that the detective sent it to the State's attorney and hasn't heard a word since. Next it's "Well I called the State's attorney", he then takes 3 weeks to return the lawyer's call, and then it's "He (the S.A.) had no knowledge of the situation... he'll find out which assistant is handling it and have them call (the lawyer). Another 3 weeks, still nothing. We do not have this attorney on retainer officially but we did give him a sizable "deposit" to cover whatever expenses he may have until when/if we were charged then he would go on retainer representing my husband. Is all this phone tag normal or is the lawyer not pushing hard enough or is the SA just blowing him/us off??

Is there a limit on how long they can take to decide if they're going to charge us?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">