• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vexing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kavviesta1

Hi. I am from and work for the state of tennessee, and i was wondering something about the doctor patient confidentiality law. The main question I have, lets say I call out sick on a Sunday, go to the doctor early Monday morning. I am instructed to bring documentation with me on my return to work stating that I was there. After presenting said note, due to the fact that my supervisor has it out to get me, I am accused of making a fake note and being sent to due process. the only evidence that they have is that they called my doctor Tuesday and asked if I had come in on monday which they stated no on my instruction. I was wondering if by them asking for my appointment schedual if they breached my rights. any help would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

I don't understand your "instruction". You knew (or could have suspected) that the company would call the doctor. Why would you specify "instruct" the doctor to say No? It was not against any law for the employer to call. It may or may not have been a violation of HIPAA for the doctor to confirm, but it definitely would have been if he had told them anything about your condition or what you were seen for.

Seems to me you're taking this "privacy" thing a bit too far, to your detriment.

I have, in the past, faxed such notes to the doctor's office with "can you confirm that this note was prepared by your office?". That is not a violation of HIPAA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">