• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mr.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ben arrington

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tx. A guy came to my apartment tried to rob me with a gun but I faught back and he ran out. the maintaince man was outside my door so I said to call the cops whae they got there they said the needed to sweep the apt. because of a feport that said shots fired and they looked in my cabinet and found stuff and took me to jail. can they do that

CavemanLawyer

Yes they can probably do that. When you call the cops, or have someone else do it for you, you impliedly give them consent to search at least some part of your property if it is necessary for them to investigate the report that you made. In this case it sounds like they thought you might have had a gun. If someone else had called the cops it would probably be different but you requested that the cops come out there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">