• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police harrasment (Oregon)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ImBeingSued

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Long story, i will try to make it short and to the point without leaving any important details out. Also, i was not sure which section to post this in so if i am not in the correct section i apologize

My little brother has a friend (i will call him john to avoid any confusion)who recently was kicked out of his parents house and is currently residing at my parents house. Johns' parents have recently been a victim of burglary and theft, so naturally, the police have made John a suspect (as well as everyone else in my house)

My parents have video and audio surveillance in place, and have several no trespassing-audio & video recording signs posted (obviously, in general, law enforcement are exempt to trespassing laws) due to repeat car break-ins.

Recently, the police came to the house to question John, as well as my brother. They cut the wires to the cameras in an attempt to prevent recording (destroying the cameras). this raises my first question:
1.) Are police exempt from destruction of property in routine questioning?

They threatened to charge them with other crimes they did not commit, they said, "evidence will be fabricated to ensure prosecution", "We have people in different agencies to assist with falsifying evidence", and "We will charge everyone in the house with similar crimes (sex-related crimes), involve DHS, and have all minors removed from the household". I know this is mostly a scare tactic used to obtain information or admission of guilt. I understand that such tactics are necessary in aiding most investigations. However, I feel that they crossed the line several times, and will be less then willing to cooperate in any investigation in the future. my next questions:

2.) Can a person legally refuse questioning (excluding name, DOB and such) without an attorney present if they are not under arrest? Or can they be charged with hindering/interfering or like charges(local law enforcement only)?

3.) in general, is refusing questioning without an attorney a bad idea if you are innocent? Or is it recommended that i co-operate so they can move on to the next suspect?

This is not my first experience with the legal system; i am aware that lying is standard procedure and officers are permitted to say almost anything to make an arrest. However, i believe the public (in general) would be ashamed to see how their tax dollar is spent for law enforcement (you would need to see the recording understand my position) And, in such cases (involving large amounts of potential suspects, in this case there are at least 30 that i am aware of), the public would find such treatment unacceptable upon discovering they too could be a victim of such treatment. Last question:

4.) Is there a limit to what an officer can say to further his/her investigation, if not, are they exempt from harassment laws?

At this point, i do not wish to pursue this matter as i believe it will lead to further harassment. However, its all recorded, and ready for media release should this escalate to that point.

Thank you for your time and any help regarding this issue.

CdwJava

My little brother has a friend (i will call him john to avoid any confusion)who recently was kicked out of his parents house and is currently residing at my parents house. Johns' parents have recently been a victim of burglary and theft, so naturally, the police have made John a suspect (as well as everyone else in my house)
How old is John?

Recently, the police came to the house to question John, as well as my brother. They cut the wires to the cameras in an attempt to prevent recording (destroying the cameras). this raises my first question:
1.) Are police exempt from destruction of property in routine questioning?
Generally, no. Is there proof that the police "cut" the wires? if so, have your parents submitted a claim to their employing agency for the cost of damages? Have they made a complaint to the the agency regarding the conduct of the officers? if not, why not?

They threatened to charge them with other crimes they did not commit, they said, "evidence will be fabricated to ensure prosecution", "We have people in different agencies to assist with falsifying evidence", and "We will charge everyone in the house with similar crimes (sex-related crimes), involve DHS, and have all minors removed from the household".
Did the police admit to this? Or is this the claim of John and your brother? Ya know ... it might NOT be true.

2.) Can a person legally refuse questioning (excluding name, DOB and such) without an attorney present if they are not under arrest? Or can they be charged with hindering/interfering or like charges(local law enforcement only)?
You can refuse to answer questions in many instances, and if you are the suspect of a crime you have an absolute 5th Amendment right to remain silent.

3.) in general, is refusing questioning without an attorney a bad idea if you are innocent? Or is it recommended that i co-operate so they can move on to the next suspect?
That's up to you. Sometimes answering the questions of the police will explain some things to them and they will move on. Other times it will cement guilt. There are some that say you should never talk to the police ... I tend to disagree. But, not talking to the police DOES make the report shorter and save the officer time.

4.) Is there a limit to what an officer can say to further his/her investigation, if not, are they exempt from harassment laws?
There are limits, yes.

- Carl

ImBeingSued

How old is John?
John is 18 years old

Generally, no. Is there proof that the police "cut" the wires? if so, have your parents submitted a claim to their employing agency for the cost of damages? Have they made a complaint to the the agency regarding the conduct of the officers? if not, why not?
Yes, i have proof they cut it, its all recorded. They cut two cameras, i have a close up of their face before the feed was lost on each camera as well as a third camera recording them from a distant catching them in the whole act. no complaint has been filed yet for several reasons. First of all, the incident has happened within the last 24 hours. Secondly, we fear it will lead to further harassment.

Did the police admit to this? Or is this the claim of John and your brother? Ya know ... it might NOT be true
I have the entire incident, including questioning, recorded in crystal clear audio. It is 100% un-edited and timestamped via internet to ensure authentication. Had i not heard it directly from the detectives, i would not have mentioned it.

You can refuse to answer questions in many instances, and if you are the suspect of a crime you have an absolute 5th Amendment right to remain silent.
Thank you, i figured i had the right plea the 5th if i was a suspect, however, i have been threatened in the past that i was hindering an investigation (before i was on probation). Being a felon (not on probation), i am trying to expunge record and cant afford any future charges. This is another reason no complaint has been filed. I have lived with the hardships entailed with being a felon and have really turned my life around. I tend not to mention being felon as most pass judgment on me

I really appreciate your help Carl.

Another question completely unrelated to the topic, my original charge is PCS-Marijuana less then an ounce (misdemeanor) , i fully admit to the charge. i plead guilty and was placed on a conditional release which i violated and went to jail. when i went to my hearing i plead guilty to the violation. Shortly after i got out of jail i am informed my charge is no longer a PCS-Marijuana, but rather a PCS-Meth (felony). I have never used meth in my life and have no reason to lie about here, yet i am charged with it. Is there anything i can do about this since i plead guilty? i have contacted several attorneys but they told me since i plead guilty there was nothing i could do. I was 18 at the time, it has almost been 6 years so i am sure any actions i could have taken have expired.
As a result, I have developed a lack of trust for any form of law enforcement and all matters related to criminal court (including most public defenders). I have served over 14 months in jail over this issue in violations and revokes. I admit, if had complied to the conditions of my probation, and later post-prison, i would have avoided most my violations. I agree, i am responsible for most my hardships. And, had i not been through this, I don't believe i would be where i am at today. The criminal background has greatly limited my range of jobs, thus, creating an opportunity for me to go to college (against my PO's permission, I was violated once for this, on my second violation, i was revoked from post-prison upon request) . I have one semester left until i complete my BA degree, at that time i will have about one year until i can get my record expunged and hopefully begin work in my field.

cyjeff

Then here is what you do.

Tomorrow morning, get a civil attorney. Show the relevant parts of the tapes to him/her.

Sue the employing authority based upon the tapes.

Know, however, that their liability may be limited to the cost of the destroyed items....

Whether or not it is 1) legal to record audio when one party obviously does NOT give permission to do so; and, 2) smart to take the tapes to your local news station are questions best asked of the attorney.

ImBeingSued

There are several 9"x11" signs posted stating video and audio recording surveillance are in use. they are 100% readable from the street. It would seem they waived their right to consent to audio recording when they questioned the suspects on the property. I could understand if they were in the street or asked/demanded recording to stop. Furthermore, i believe (i could be totally off though) audio recording pertains to the right to privacy, is a public official entitled to the right of privacy when providing a public duty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">