• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evasion of Traffic Control Device?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello all. A few nights ago, I was at an intersection. I made a legal right turn on red, and then a U-turn at the soonest (legal) opportunity. Before I knew it, police sirens were behind me and the officer (after bullying me into letting him search my car for drugs) was writing me a ticket for this offense.

Given that I never left the roadway, and that I didn't get onto anyone's public or private property to do this, how does this ticket fit?

FlyingRon

46.2-833.1 most likely. It is not required that you go onto private property, but it is required to leave the roadway. I'm sure the cop thought that a right-on-red followed by a U-turn was evading the signal, it sounds like you have a good chance to beat this one in court.

§ 46.2-833.1. Evasion of traffic control devices.

It shall be unlawful for the driver of any motor vehicle to drive off the roadway and onto or across any public or private property in order to evade any stop sign, yield sign, traffic light, or other traffic control device.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">