• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mr

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desperate+

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I submitted a job application and under the advice of a career counselor was told to indicate that I received an engineering degree, when I did not. I did not indicate any degree on my resume.The company found that I attended the college and did not receive any degree and is considering withdrawing the job offer. What can I do or say that will not incriminate me further. The college I attended more than 30 yrs ago no longer exists and was taken over by CUNY in 1971. Please advise me on the best way of handling this to keep the offer whole. Thank you

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I submitted a job application and under the advice of a career counselor was told to indicate that I received an engineering degree, when I did not. I did not indicate any degree on my resume.The company found that I attended the college and did not receive any degree and is considering withdrawing the job offer. What can I do or say that will not incriminate me further. The college I attended more than 30 yrs ago no longer exists and was taken over by CUNY in 1971. Please advise me on the best way of handling this to keep the offer whole. Thank you
There isn't one.

There is no way to undo the lie. You lied. You got caught. If the company decides not to hire you, they are legally allowed to withdraw their offer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've done just fine in putting yourself in a terrible light already. Don't expect to get this position.

In the future, don't lie. Also, don't try to shift the blame for your actions.

Beth3

There is nothing you can do to prevent the offer from being withdrawn if the employer chooses to do so. I can't imagine what type of "career counselor" would have advised you to do something so stupid. It's incredibly easy to verify educational credentials and find out if someone's fabricating a degree they don't have. Unfortunately, you decided to go along with what you must have known to be very bad advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">