• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

britt108

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I found out that I was pregnant a month (unplanned) after I accepted a job in corporate america. To receive FMLA which is the only thing the company gives for maternity leave you must be there for a year. I will be shy of this by 3 months. I have spoken to my HR department and they have informed me in a 5 min meeting that I will be terminated due to the lack of leave (2 wks), unless I come back at the end of 2 weeks after giving birth. In the handbook they offer leave without of pay and short term disability (they only make certain exceptions for certain individuals). Do I have a case in this matter???

Thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I found out that I was pregnant a month (unplanned) after I accepted a job in corporate america. To receive FMLA which is the only thing the company gives for maternity leave you must be there for a year. I will be shy of this by 3 months. I have spoken to my HR department and they have informed me in a 5 min meeting that I will be terminated due to the lack of leave (2 wks), unless I come back at the end of 2 weeks after giving birth. In the handbook they offer leave without of pay and short term disability (they only make certain exceptions for certain individuals). Do I have a case in this matter???

Thanks.

**A: a case for what?

pattytx

Mississippi does not provide any additional protection for leave, maternity or otherwise, outside of FMLA.

If another employee with a non-maternity condition would be terminated under the same restrictions, you can be too.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since FMLA does not apply, and since Mississippi does not have a mandated state maternity leave, you are entitled to whatever a similarly situated employee who has pneumonia or a broken leg would get; no more and no less. If another employee who has been there more or less the same length of time and who is at roughly your same job classification, but needed medical leave for a non-maternity reason, would only get two weeks, then that's all you're entitled to. If they would get longer, you get longer. You can't be discriminated against because you're pregnant, but you don't get any special treatment either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">