• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander Ruining a Marriage!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seeks_revenge

I am in Canada, and therefor don't really expect too much legal advice due to differing laws than in the USA. However, I wanted to express my point, and I am just curious about persuing legal action. I probablly won't, due to all of the hassels, but I'd love the revenge! My sister-n-law dislikes me (to be polite) and wants me out of the family. She called up my husband and had him meet her to tell him "something very important". She told him I had been unfaithful with another man. Not only is this fact completely untrue, but it has put our marriage in jeopardy. I know it seems like a simple matter of who my husband will believe, but she has spread this vicious rumor around, and several people have confronted me about it. It has also put the marriage of the man I was supposedly "with" in jeopardy as well, until we can get to the bottom of this and hopefully get her to admit that she did not walk in on us! We were never together at all!! I would not be upset if there was any truth to her allegation, but I am very angry that she has ruined my reputation and perhaps marriage, as well as that of an innocent man, just to get me out of the family. Do I have any legal standing at persuing a slander case? I'd love nothing more than to get revenge by serving her with papers, but I do not want to suffer further humiliation by losing a court case!! Should I attempt to persue it? Any other suggestions?? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for your time!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

seeks_revenge said:
I am in Canada, and therefor don't really expect too much legal advice due to differing laws than in the USA. However, I wanted to express my point, and I am just curious about persuing legal action. I probablly won't, due to all of the hassels, but I'd love the revenge! My sister-n-law dislikes me (to be polite) and wants me out of the family. She called up my husband and had him meet her to tell him "something very important". She told him I had been unfaithful with another man. Not only is this fact completely untrue, but it has put our marriage in jeopardy. I know it seems like a simple matter of who my husband will believe, but she has spread this vicious rumor around, and several people have confronted me about it. It has also put the marriage of the man I was supposedly "with" in jeopardy as well, until we can get to the bottom of this and hopefully get her to admit that she did not walk in on us! We were never together at all!! I would not be upset if there was any truth to her allegation, but I am very angry that she has ruined my reputation and perhaps marriage, as well as that of an innocent man, just to get me out of the family. Do I have any legal standing at persuing a slander case? I'd love nothing more than to get revenge by serving her with papers, but I do not want to suffer further humiliation by losing a court case!! Should I attempt to persue it? Any other suggestions?? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for your time!
My response:

"Something to Talk About"

People are talkin, talking 'bout people
I hear them whisper, you won't believe it
They think we're lovers kept under covers
I just ignore it, but they keep saying
We laugh just a little too loud
We stand just a little too close
We stare just a little too long
Maybe they're seeing, something we don't, Darlin'

chorus
Let's give them something to talk about
How about love?

verse 2
I feel so foolish, I never noticed
You'd act so nervous, could you be falling for me?
It took a rumor to make me wonder
Now I'm convinced I'm going under
Thinking 'bout you every day
Dreaming 'bout you every night
Hoping that you feel the same way
Now that we know it, let's really show it, Darlin'

chorus

A little mystery to figure out
How about love, love, love, love?

chorus
How about love, love, love, love?

You have the ingredients for slander. It may be worth your while to discuss this with an attorney.

Who knows, you might get the "brass ring" and shut her up.

IAAL

S

seeks_revenge

Thanks, Liable!! Things that make you go ROAR!! I just might persue it...or at least inquire further about legal action. It would be nice for her to get hers!! Thanks for your reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">