• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible for unemployment if...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leslie0416

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Question: a friend of mine was caught in a sting operation at work where he sold tobacco to an underaged customer & failed to ask for proper ID. Later he was given the option to willfully quit or accept termination (nothing in between) he later filed for unemployment but was denied and advised to appeal the decision by a union rep. The policy of the store specifically outlines that this kind of action is grounds for termination. What is the likelyhood that the appeal will be unfavorable? Next, is there a general list of reasons why a person may be denied unemployment after being terminated? If so could you please forward the list. Thank you

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Question: a friend of mine was caught in a sting operation at work where he sold tobacco to an underaged customer & failed to ask for proper ID. Later he was given the option to willfully quit or accept termination (nothing in between) he later filed for unemployment but was denied and advised to appeal the decision by a union rep. The policy of the store specifically outlines that this kind of action is grounds for termination. What is the likelyhood that the appeal will be unfavorable?

**A: what do you think? He was terminated for just cause.

#######
Next, is there a general list of reasons why a person may be denied unemployment after being terminated? If so could you please forward the list. Thank you

**A: yes, ask your local state UE office for a list or better yet read the actual law.

ecmst12

I wouldn't be surprised if this will be found to be willful or gross misconduct, but he is always free to file and free to appeal if denied.

Leslie0416

**A: yes, ask your local state UE office for a list or better yet read the actual law.
Ok Home Guru what exactly are you saying? In your opinion does he qualify for unemployment or not? I will suggest to him to call the UE offfice for the list of general reasons why one wouldn't or would qualify for unemployment. Thanks for that. But we're bitting teeth and sweating bullets as to what the outcome may be. just asking for an opinion or the facts if you have them.

HomeGuru

Ok Home Guru what exactly are you saying?

**A: I was saying yes to your question of "is there a general list of reasons...?"

########
In your opinion does he qualify for unemployment or not? I will suggest to him to call the UE offfice for the list of general reasons why one wouldn't or would qualify for unemployment. Thanks for that. But we're bitting teeth and sweating bullets as to what the outcome may be. just asking for an opinion or the facts if you have them.
**A: R E A D my post again. Ve r y s l o w l y. Do not take smoke break, do not pass Go, and DO NOT collect $200.

ecmst12

The "general list of reasons" is voluntary termination (quitting, not the same as quitting in lieu of being fired) or willful/gross misconduct. Anything more specific then that is impossible to state since all unemployment applications and appeals are considered on a case by case basis by the unemployment board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">