• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charadrake

I'm in Michigan, and losing my job (with a buyout/severance pkg) on April 30th. I'm moving in with my sister in California, in early May, and will be looking for work there. I know I'm still eligible for unemployment benefits even with the severance. Where do I apply for unemployment benefits? Would I apply in Michigan since my current employer is in Michigan, or would I apply in California since I'll be living there?

pattytx

You would be getting benefits from Michigan, since that's where all your wages in the base period were earned. Filing in California will only delay your benefits, because then it will be an interstate claim.

If I were you, I would file online, to Michigan, on May 1, then you can report your address change when it becomes effective.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">