• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moms assets - dads failing health

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waron

Mother and father live in Nevada. They don't have much, a mobile home they live in, and a mobile home they rent-out are their main assets in addition to some cash in the bank. It's enough for them to live, but dad's Alzheimers is getting to where he may not be able to live at home much longer. Although dad's not doing well, mom is still in good health.

I understand Medicaid pays for dad once his money is gone. Is mom allowed to have half to declare dad broke, or must all the money be gone? What should mom be doing to prepare as dads health continues to fail?

She has met with an attorney, and I'm hearing information second hand. Since money is limited, I expect little additional legal counseling. Any additional information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

BlondiePB

Mother and father live in Nevada. They don't have much, a mobile home they live in, and a mobile home they rent-out are their main assets in addition to some cash in the bank. It's enough for them to live, but dad's Alzheimers is getting to where he may not be able to live at home much longer. Although dad's not doing well, mom is still in good health.

I understand Medicaid pays for dad once his money is gone. Is mom allowed to have half to declare dad broke, or must all the money be gone? What should mom be doing to prepare as dads health continues to fail?

She has met with an attorney, and I'm hearing information second hand. Since money is limited, I expect little additional legal counseling. Any additional information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.quickbrochures.net/medicare/nevada_medicaid_medicare.htm[/url

waron

Deeming?

Thanks for the link Blondie.

The "Fact Book" says that in Nevada, deeming rules do not apply. I would understand this to mean that if my parents split their money, when either runs out, then they would qualify for medicaid.

Am I understanding this correctly. And if so, how would they establish separate finances?

I'm the youngest of four siblings and am not the one who is handling their affairs. Just trying to understand what is the correct course of action.

Thanks for any additional information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">